Wednesday, November 23, 2011

It's a boy, it's a girl....

.... it's Neuro-Cardiogenic Pre-Syncope?

The good news is that my heart is physically healthy and what is going on is a complication of pregnancy that should resolve within 3 months of giving birth.

Neuro-Cardiogenic Pre-Syncope? <-- what's that !?!

Can happen by one of 2 pathways.

#1: blood volume depletion - by water volume from the blood pooling in my tissues and blood pooling in varicose veins. Complicated by standing for too long of periods (ie.work), dehydration, and hot environments. Heart rate increases to compensate for low volumes - leads to the symptoms I’ve been experiencing.

#2: vasovagal (nervous system) reaction - causes blood vessels to dilate and blood pools with gravity -> a drop in blood pressure -> increased heart rate to compensate for decreased blood volumes reaching vital organs such as the brain. Caused by: hunger/low blood sugar, uterus resting on blood vessels, stress, sleep deprivation, and HORMONES.

The heart murmur? Its normal in pregnancy to develop some form of benign (harmless) heart murmur (extra sounds) due to the increased blood volume needed to sustain the baby/pregnancy.

The solution they gave?

- > Eat salty foods (namely pretzels). Water follows salt. If I increase my sodium levels water will follow and help restore my blood volumes.
- > Wear high pressure compression stockings. To prevent blood from pooling in my legs (pathway #1) AND so that when I have a vasovagal reaction (pathway #2) and my veins try to dilate it prevents them from dilating too much and thus making the symptoms less.
- > Since many of the triggers are things that occur at my work and may contribute to symptoms:

increased activity and being on my feet for extended periods; hunger/low blood sugar (breaks? what breaks - I'm lucky if I can grab my sandwhich at eat it standing at the desk; stress -> they suggested taking 2 weeks off to try and reduce the number of episodes/severity of symptoms.
- > Journal episodes: triggers, symptoms, relieved or not relieved by rest and follow up in 2 weeks

The BIG question: is this harmful to baby?

NO. When my heart rate is even up to 140 blood flow to my organs (uterus and placenta too) is adequate. They are concerned when a persons heart rate reaches number of around 180 and symptoms are lasting for an extended period of time - then blood flow to organs may be compromised. So the goal is to get symptoms under control so that it will not get to that point.


Another baby bump photo coming soon!

No comments: